Introduce Yourself!

This topic is designed as a place for people to introduce themselves.

I'm Brad Chamberlain, a founding member of the Chapel project and the technical lead for the project. I work as a master engineer at Hewlett Packard Enterprise and am also an affiliate professor for the University of Washington. When I'm not working on Chapel, I tend to spend my time listening to music, playing euro-style boardgames, or reading.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Lydia Duncan! I’ve been on the Chapel team full time since 2013, and was an intern for the project the summer before that. I care about documentation, scoping, objects, interoperability, education and outreach. When I’m not working on Chapel, I’m playing board games or various flavors of D&D.

2 Likes

I am Vass Litvinov. I work as a Chapel developer at HPE. While I am mostly involved in compiler development, my passion is in programming languages. I am also passionate about hiking and whatever else gets me outdoors.

2 Likes

I’m Ben Albrecht. I have been on the Chapel team at Cray / HPE since 2015 with a focus on developing libraries, applications, and tooling. Outside of working on Chapel, I enjoy running, biking, swimming, climbing, and playing music. My favorite text editor is vim.

1 Like

I am Engin Kayraklioglu. I first used Chapel in 2012. After that, I used it heavily during my Ph.D. between 2013-2019. In 2019, I joined the Chapel team at Cray/HPE. My main interest is distributed memory performance. I like hiking and running. I love metal music and play the electric guitar as a hobby.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Michael Ferguson. I’ve been working with Chapel since 2009 or so. I’m currently part of the Chapel team at HPE. I’ve worked on many areas of the language and its implementation but I tend to focus these days language and compiler improvements. Some specific areas I’ve worked on are: I/O support, --cache-remote, LLVM support, array memory management, and vectorization.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Greg Titus. I’ve been on the Chapel team since about 2010. I work almost entirely in the runtime, mostly on things having to do with communication between Chapel program instances. My professional history is all about programming environments and parallel architectures. When I’m not doing software I might be riding a bicycle, hiking, puttering about in a very small shop, or puzzling over something in nature.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m David Iten. I’ve been on the Chapel team since about 2007. I work mostly in the compiler and on libraries. Outside of work I enjoy woodworking, cooking and BBQ, making beer and wine, and fishkeeping.

3 Likes

Hi, I am Tomsy Paul. I am an Assistant Professor from India. I started using Chapel in 2013 as a part of my research. Although I had to change my research area, my interest in Chapel is not changed!! Last year I published my work of implementing a new programming language construct “withall” which was implemented in Chapel, since it is “soooo…” easy to add a new feature to Chapel compiler!!

6 Likes

Hello everyone. I just started as the Chapel team manager in January 2021. I have been doing research in compilers and HPC topics since the 90s. I was a postdoc at Argonne National Laboratory, a professor at Colorado State University for 10 years, and a professor at the University of Arizona for 5 years, where I am currently on a leave of absence and still advising a couple of PhD students. I have published with the Chapel group in the past, and I am really enjoying diving into the details of developing Chapel. In my free time I enjoy hanging out with my family, hiking, reading, and even some coding of parsing algorithm alternatives.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone, My name is Nirmal Mathew Alex.I am researcher in atmospheric science and I’m came in to the world of chapel as a part of Climate model development program. As a beginner with chapel and as a passionate programmer I’m pretty excited about the world of chapel

3 Likes

Hello! My name is Ben McDonald and I just joined the Chapel team at HPE in July 2021 after graduating from Gonzaga University in May and was an intern the previous summer. Since joining, I have spent most of my time working on libraries/tooling as well as performance improvements. Outside of work, I love fly fishing, backpacking, and reading. If you use emacs, odds are we would get along pretty well.

2 Likes

Hi there! My name is Ahmad Rezaii and I joined the Chapel team in June 2021. Since then I have worked on an argument parsing library and the mason package manager/build system. When I'm not working I might be mountain biking, rafting, or fiddling with a DIY project at home.

2 Likes

Howdy All, I am Tim Zinsky and I have just joined the Chapel team in August as a manager working with Michelle, Brad and the rest of the team to continue building this project. I have been with HPE/HP/Compaq for 30 years as a software engineer. When I am not working, I enjoy working out (some would say too much), reading and gaming.

1 Like

Hello world! I am Andrew Consroe and I'm excited to be a new member of the Chapel team. I'm hoping to help make the compiler faster and other efforts related to the compiler proper. If I'm not on a computer I am probably climbing, biking, or cooking. I also tinker with 3D printers and other stuff to make stuff.

2 Likes