Blog article proposals and requests

@lucaferranti and @damianmoz — Thank you very much for jumping onto this thread and making your suggestions! We're currently completely underwater on the blog trying to keep up with Advent of Code 2022 and our kickoff series on that, but once we get past that and start figuring out next steps for the blog, we'll circle back around on these. For now, I'll say that I think that all of these are valid and interesting topics for the blog.

And Luca (or Damian), we would welcome submissions on your proposals, though you should hold off on spending too much time on any of them until we get through AoC in case we make technology changes based on our experience... and we also need to publish instructions on how to draft a blog article to the public (short answer for now is markdown or Chapel source annotated with comments using markdown). I'll also note that my first three AoC articles are much longer than I tend to envision the typical blog article as being, due to the number of features we're trying to teach each day. So don't feel as though there's an expectation that they be this long or detailed.

To Damian's question:

As it says on the label, this is intended to be a category for discussions about the Chapel blog: article proposals and requests, comments and questions on published articles, look-and-feel improvements, etc. Put another way, our blog framework does not (currently, at least) support a way for readers to comment on published blog articles on the article's page directly. So this category is meant to fulfill that purpose. For example, I could imagine someone posting a topic to the category like:

• "I didn't understand this section of this article, could you clarify?"
  • "I think the approach in this article is poor for this reason and would improve it in this way"
  • "Did you know you can earn $13k/month working from the comfort of your own home? click here to find out how!"

(OK, just joking about that last one... it's just a frequent comment style I see when posts have open comment sections)

-Brad

1 Like