[Chapel Merge] fix primer makefile to not build interopWithC help

Branch: refs/heads/main
Revision: f499813
Author: stonea
Link: fix primer makefile to not build interopWithC helper makefile on 'make clean' by stonea · Pull Request #18695 · chapel-lang/chapel · GitHub
Log Message:

Merge pull request #18695 from stonea/fix_primer_makefile

fix primer makefile to not build interopWithC helper makefile on 'make clean'

This is to fix the issue with make clean building the interop primer: COMPILE: 1.25.0: make clean error in primers · Issue #18464 · chapel-lang/chapel · GitHub

I detail the issue in this comment: COMPILE: 1.25.0: make clean error in primers · Issue #18464 · chapel-lang/chapel · GitHub and the bottom half of this comment: COMPILE: 1.25.0: make clean error in primers · Issue #18464 · chapel-lang/chapel · GitHub

The punchline is the Makefile for primers included this line:

-include lib/Makefile.interopWithC

Which links to a "helper Makefile" that we generate for the interop primer. The (main primer) Makefile includes a target to build this helper Makefile and this target would be executed indiscriminately, even when doing make clean. In this PR I solve this problem by having the helper Makefile generated as part of the interopWithC target and separating the include line (and the target for the cClient) into a separate Makefile Makefile.cClient.

I detail this solution in the comment here: COMPILE: 1.25.0: make clean error in primers · Issue #18464 · chapel-lang/chapel · GitHub

I also update the primer to note the existence of these two files.

[Reviewed by @bradcray]

Modified Files:
A test/release/examples/primers/Makefile.cClient

M test/release/examples/primers/Makefile
M test/release/examples/primers/README
M test/release/examples/primers/interopWithC.chpl

Compare: https://github.com/chapel-lang/chapel/compare/8bb386b273c3...f49981376906